2019 Black Educators' Conference
Date: 15th to 17th November 2019
Venue: Mercure Manchester Hotel
This year, one of the largest conferences celebrating Black educational staff will be in Manchester, where the legacy of Black Trade Unionism is rich, varied and long.
This conference offers the unique opportunity to engage and network with other Black members. There will be a series of workshops, stalls, and plenaries which will focus on topics pertaining to Black liberation and self-organisation. The Black Educators' Conference is empowered to submit one motion, selected by majority vote, to NEU Annual Conference. Districts, branches and individual NEU members attending as delegates, and the National Executive can submit motions to the Black Teachers' Conference.
Delegates will receive accommodation, breakfast, dinner Saturday night, lunch and refreshments. A crèche will be provided for those who would otherwise be unable to attend due to childcare responsibilities.
If you'd like to be considered for a place, please complete the application form.
The Central Events Team will contact your district to request they fund your conference fee. Your district will usually pay your travel expenses too.
City of Leicester NEU District will support your attendance at the conferences, subject to meeting the local application process. You can self fund a place to attend the conferences.
What to do if you decide you want to go to an Equalities Conference and wish to be funded by City of Leicester NEU
Please note that this year the local deadline for applying is 27th September 2019, although the national deadline for registration is 14th October.
• Contact the Equalities Officer, Julie Walters-Nisbett.
• Julie will meet with you and discuss the district's expectations of you. A minimum expectation is a report to a district meeting.
• Funding by the district for your place at a conference will be agreed and communicated to you as soon as possible.
Please note the following national rules
• The applicant's personal deposit of £20 will be returned to the delegate at the conference, but is not returned if the delegate fails to attend.
• Fees cannot be reimbursed if individuals cancel their places, although if enough notice is given the organisers will be happy to admit substitutes.
• If the association has funded your attendance and a replacement is not found, the fee will be lost and the financial loss will be to the association, i.e. members' money.
• The Union does not reimburse travelling expenses centrally, but the Leicester NEU will reimburse travel expenses.
Defining myself, as opposed to being defined by others, is one of the most difficult challenges we face.