Health and Wellbeing Day
Members came together on 10th April to carve a bit of time out for themselves to relax and reset with yoga, a cook along, dance fitness, and an introduction to organising around mental health in the workplace. Feedback was phenomenal!
It was fun, fun, fun! I enjoyed cooking something different and with vegetables ... I would do this again! I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much ..so a bonus.
Great session....Would love to try again.
Great session to end on. Everyone loves a dance!
Top 10 tips for wellbeing
Julie Walters-Nisbett, City of Leicester NEU President, shared her top 10 tips for
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - The Eatwell Guide says we should drink 6 to 8
glasses of fluid a day. Water, lower fat milk and sugar-free drinks, including
tea and coffee, all count.
2. Plan your exercise - 3 times per week.
3. Count those steps!
4. Plan your meals, and snacks. Keep water/ diet drinks/ healthy snacks in the
car. Consider a slow cooker/air fryer. Evidence shows there are significant
health benefits to getting at least 5 portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables every day. That's 5 portions of fruit and veg in total, not 5 portions of each. A portion of fruit or vegetables is 80g.
5. "Buddy up" on steps / exercise / gym / good food tips.
6. Schedule me time:
• Comedy/ Theatre online or in person.
• CPD - NEU/ Eventbrite
• Hands/ Feet
• Soak in the bath. Music, candles and soak. Watch a beach!
8. Read a book.
9. Talk/ Talk/ Talk.
10. T.V. time - Netflix, YouTube, movie night.
You may also find the following links useful, from our Learning Rep Mayuri Parekh:
• Sydney Jensen: How can we support the emotional well-being of teachers?
• Kelly McGonigal: How to make stress your friend
• Eduardo Briceño: How to get better at the things you care about
• Mind: Physical activity and your mental health
• Time to Change: Activities for your workplace - Challenge misconceptions, start conversations and change attitudes around mental health with these materials for your workplace.